Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Rise Up and Build

I couldn't sleep last night and knew that I needed to get up and spend some time with my Lord. I feel that as a parent I'm failing miserably. I feel as if anything spiritual that we've ever built in the boys' lives has crumbled and has come to ruin. Then I face questions from family members and mockings that make me doubt, worry and move in fear. It makes me feel as though I see no fruit at all in our children. I see family and "friends" just waiting for the day that they can say "Ah ha, I knew it wouldn't work!".

I picked up my bible and began reading in Nehemiah 2. Not a place that I expected to get ministered to about raising our boys. But isn't that just how God works? In the unexpected. Of course, Nehemiah was building a literal wall to protect the people from their enemies but we are building a spiritual wall. Chapter 2 verse 17...you see the distress we are in, how Jerusalem lies waste...come and let us build the wall of Jerusalem, that we may no longer be a reproach. Verse 18...Let us rise up and build. Then they set their hands to this good work.

I know the Lord is calling us to set our hands to the work of building the walls of this house. With the Lord going before us and building, we need to raise the wall up so that the enemy can't come in and tear down and destroy. The wall needs to be high and strong so we are able to fight off the enemy, so that the life and light of God can shine forth as a beacon and our family will not be a reproach but a force going forward for the glory of God.

As soon as people (non-believers and so-called christians alike) find out that you're taking a stand against the "normal" flow of society and raising your children (the spiritual wall) for the Lord, they mock and despise you, and our answer must be the same as Nehemiah's in Ch. 2 verse 20 - The God of heaven Himself will prosper us; therefore we His servants will arise and build, but you have no heritage or right or memorial in Jerusalem. Jerusalem, of course, in this context being our family.

The story goes on to tell of the labor being done and the attacks from all sides from the enemy. The people had to build with one hand and carry a weapon in the other. There will be a fight that comes along with the labor and we must be continually prepared to fight. We must stay in the Lord's presence and know how to use our sword (the word of God). I love the encouraging words in chapter 4 verse 14; Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, great and awesome, and fight for your brethren, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your houses. We must remember what we are fighting for and know that the Lord is great and awesome! Verse 20...Our God will fight for us. Where is our trust? If it's in our own abilities, then we will surely fail but if it's in God, how could we lose? Chapter 6 verse 9...now therefore, O God, strengthen my hands.

If I allow people or what I see in the natural to cause me to be afraid and act that way, then I am in sin. Chapter 6 verse 14 speaks to this. The enemy will send letters (words from others and fiery darts in our own minds) to frighten me and try to stop the work but whose report am I going to believe?

I awoke this morning with a renewed vision and excitement! I am ready for battle - I WILL RISE UP AND BUILD!

No comments:

Post a Comment