Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Are You Fit to Die?

Watching what we eat, working out, striving to be fit for life but what about being fit to die?

This is a question that keeps being presented to me as I read through Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life by William Law.  Here’s a quote from what I read tonight that prompted this blog entry:

“The measure of our love to God, seems in justice to be the measure of our love of every virtue. We are to love and practise it with all our heart, with all our soul, with all our mind, and with all our strength. And when we cease to live with this regard to virtue, we live below our nature, and, instead of being able to plead our infirmities, we stand chargeable with negligence.

It is for this reason that we are exhorted to work out our salvation with fear and trembling; because unless our heart and passions are eagerly bent upon the work of our salvation; unless holy fears animate our endeavours, and keep our consciences strict and tender about every part of our duty, constantly examining how we live, and how fit we are to die; we shall in all probability fall into a state of negligence, and sit down in such a course of life, as will never carry us to the rewards of Heaven.”

I have read and re-read those two paragraphs about five times so far.  However, I am sure that I will read over them many more times as I meditate on those words and pray for the grace of God to work in me an urgency and fervor to live my life in such a way that I will be fit to die. 

No comments:

Post a Comment