Tuesday, August 30, 2011

SAT & College Preparation Course for the Christian Student - Book Review



I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to using this magnificent tool by James Stobaugh. I can definitely see how his step by step guidance can and will boost the student’s confidence when it comes to taking the SAT.

James not only lays out a one, two and three year plan but he breaks it down into weekly and daily lessons as well. Some of his resources include, but are not limited to, a book list, critical thinking skills, a reproducible reading journal, examples of college admission essays and my personal favorite, a daily devotion. He also provides a free workbook for the CollegeBoard SAT I Essay which you can get by visiting the website listed in his book to help you practice your essay skills.

Another highlight that really caught my attention is his plan for the SAT Day. Yes, he even has a plan laid out for the parents and the student for the actual test day. James puts a lot of emphasis on the importance of praying our children through this time in their lives and he keeps that at the forefront of the entire process.

One last thing that deserves attention is how James addresses the issue of the secular university. This is an area that concerned me the most when I found out that our oldest son wants to attend college. I love how the author took a considerable amount of time to discuss in detail about how to thrive in Babylon without becoming Babylonian.

I would absolutely recommend this book to the Christian student in preparation for college and taking the SAT.

To order this book and find other fabulous resources, please visit The New Leaf Publishing Group website.




No comments:

Post a Comment